Monday, December 29, 2008

Aren't You Glad You Asked

Book Meme:
The Rules: Grab the nearest book. Open the book to page 56. Find the fifth sentence. Post the text of the next two to five sentences in your journal/blog along with these instructions. Don’t dig for your favorite book, the cool book, or the intellectual one: pick the CLOSEST. Tag five other people to do the same.

The diagnosis of abruption may be confirmed by inspection of the placenta at delivery. The presence of a retroplacental clot with overlying placental destruction confirms the diagnosis.

- from Blueprints - Obstetrics & Gynecology, Callahan, Caughey & Heffner

What can I say - my husband keeps his review books on the desk next to the computer.

Seven Facts About Me:
The Rules:
1. Link to your blogger and list these rules on your blog.
2. Share 7 facts about yourself, some random, some weird.
3. Tag 7 people (if possible) at the end of your post by leaving their names as well as links to their blogs.
4. Let them know they have been tagged by leaving a comment on their blogs.


1. While in college, I belonged to the Connecticut Valley Mycological Society. We collected mushrooms; there were also, I believe, slide shows.

2. Sometimes, I still put on clothing that I wore in high school.

3. I like cats very much, but am highly allergic to them.

4. I read Jane Eyre when I was 9. I loved Jane, especially in the beginning when she mouthed off to her relatives; but my favorite character was the mad wife in the attic. I even wrote some fanfic about her. More recently, I read Wide Sargasso Sea (by Jean Rhys - Jane Eyre from the point of view of the mad wife) and was disappointed.

5. My favorite color is red.

6. I had to wear bifocals for a year when I was 8.

7. Once, an old man threatened to beat me with his prosthetic leg. He actually took it off and waved it around - it was rather a surreal sight. (Long story here.)

5 comments:

nameless, faceless said...

Man, I remember reading WSS - made me realize that there truly are at least two sides to every story and no one can ever make absolute judgments about anyone. Poor Bertha took such a beating as a two-dimensional foil for Jane, but that all changes when the reader get her (admittedly entirely metafictional) backstory. Very important lesson to learn about compassion and patience and understanding :)

Ookamikun said...

1, meh, now if you would've belonged to an herbalist society. ;-)

Yep, 3 sucks big time. I still play with them when I can and end up getting all red, scratchy, runny nose and teary.

I think I speak for everyone when I say, post 7!

Albert Gurevich said...

7 sounds like a typical thing that would happen in Russian. What did you do to the dude, anyway?

Albert Gurevich said...

I meant "in Russia". Blah.

Ookamikun said...

Come on, post the story already.